Monday, March 21, 2011

Great Expectations



Here it is...the teepee I've been making over the weekend for Margaret:


Doesn't it look like it would be a magnetic force for little girls?

I expected love at first site (had camera ready to capture excitement). In reality, it was not love at first site...nowhere close. It was tears at first site, seriously. This is how the debut of the teepee played out:


      Me: "Margaret, I have a surprise for you outside! It's a teepee!"
      (We walk in the backyard. Margaret takes one look at the teepee and cries.)
      Margaret: "I don't want teepee." (Sob Sob) "I want fruit snacks."


I proceeded to crawl into the teepee to try to lure her in:


Me, calling out for Margaret from inside, "It's so much fun in here..." blah, blah, blah.
She is nowhere in site. There is no one to lure in except for our dog.
Margaret is probably in the pantry searching for her beloved fruit snacks.


I don't know what it is about those little sugar-filled packs of fruit snacks, but they are powerful. Apparently, at least one two-year-old finds them more appealing than a custom made teepee. For now, I'll admire my finished product sitting empty in our backyard. I'm going to drop the subject with her and hope she'll wander in there before long. In the meantime, it may end up serving as a little retreat for Josh and me when we need to dodge the next meltdown:)

On the bright side, it was a fun project and pretty easy to make from this pattern. The fabric and embellishments are from Hancock Fabrics, and the pvc pipes, etc. are from my favorite local hardware store, Goodwood Hardware. A little word to the wise, enter this project with no expectations, even though I'm still expecting her to love it one day:)

1 comment: